- 1 cup lentils, washed, and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In medium saucepan, combine lentils, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and water. Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer about 25 minutes or just until lentils are barely tender. Drain, if necessary.
- In large bowl, combine cooked lentils, corn, salsa, chilies, green pepper, olives, and cilantro. Cover and chill several hours or overnight to blend flavors. Serves 6.
- NOTE: Salad can be served in taco shells, on thinly sliced fresh vegetables, or with tortilla chips. Optional: Black, kidney, pinto, or white beans may be used in place of lentils, if desired. Adjust water and time for cooking beans.
- Recipe by: Modern Manna